Cruise JC 123, July-August 2015
- Cruise JC123 of the RRS James Cook
- 3 July – 4 August 2015
- This the second of two cruises on the RRS James Cook which make up the marine component of BRITICE-CHRONO. transit north to the Minch via the Pentland Firth and commence work on that transect (Transect 8), then set course east to shetlands and complete Transect 1, before moving southwards down the North Sea and completing Transect 2.
- During the cruises geophysical data in the form of multibeam echo sounder and sub-bottom profiler data will be collected and will be used to identify targets for coring. Coring will utilise a British Geological Survey 6 m long vibrocorer system and NOC 10 m piston corer.
The Natural Environment Research Council’s state-of-the-art ship, the RRS James Cook, is the latest addition to its fleet of oceanographic research vessels, and came into service in 2006. The ship is designed to carry scientists to some of Earth’s most challenging environments, from tropical oceans to the edge of the ice sheets. It plays a significant role in delivering NERC’s science priorities both now and in the coming decades. Substantially larger than its predecessor, the RRS Charles Darwin, the RRS James Cook is fitted with some of the most modern scientific systems available. In addition the ship has been built to meet the ICES Cooperative Research Report no. 209 – Underwater Noise of Research Vessels, so called ICES 209 standard, meaning she is one of the quietest research vessels currently afloat. RRS James Cook is also built with a Dynamic Positioning (DP) system, enabling the ship hold station in all but the most violent weather. This combines with the ability to deploy the Isis ROV to make RRS James Cook one of the most advanced research vessels currently in service.
Specifications and Capabilities
- Single & multibeam echosounder surveys
- Integrated data logging
- Seismic surveys
- Clean seawater sampling
- Remotely Operated Vehicle operations
- CTD surveys
- Deepwater coring, trawling, and towing
Sarah Louise Callard.
Maria Sánchez Montes.
Joseph L Hothersall
Connor D Richardson
Claire L Mellett